AmeriCorps: Serving Rhode Island
Serve Rhode Island, established in 1994 as Rhode Island's State Commission for National and Community Service, administers the AmeriCorps State programs funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS).
Playing a vital role in supporting a culture of citizenship, service and responsibility in America, the Corporation for National and Community Service supports funding for and development of nationwide service programs that include AmeriCorps, AmeriCorps*VISTA and AmeriCorps NCCC.
AmeriCorps is a national network of programs that engages nearly 75,000 Americans each year in service to meet critical needs in education, the environment, public safety, homeland security, and other areas. AmeriCorps members play an integral role of delivering critical interventions to address our state’s most pressing needs.
Serve Rhode Island is responsible for:
Administering the annual AmeriCorps State grant making process
- Managing the AmeriCorps State grant portfolio for RI
- Managing a cohort of VISTA Host Organizations
- Convening AmeriCorps programs and members for statewide events and national days of service
- Providing training and technical assistance to AmeriCorps State programs and members
Over 20 Years of Getting Things Done in Rhode Island
- 4,630 AmeriCorps members have served in RI
- 5,196,111 hours served by RI AmeriCorps
- $13 million dollars earned in Segal Education Awards
- $122 million dollars contributed to the RI economy